The Peristeam Hydrotherapy Institute is at the forefront of research about the practice of vaginal steaming. Founders Keli Garza and Kris Gonzalez have compiled information on various steam-related topics.
Survey of Countries Where Vaginal Steaming Is Practiced
Compiled primarily by Keli Garza
South Korea, Vietnam, China, Indonesia, Cambodia, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand
Turkey, Latvia, Sweden, Italy, Germany, Romania, England
Eritrea, Ghana, Kenya, South Africa, Morocco, Nigeria, Egypt, Somalia
Haiti, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, St.Kitts, Puerto Rico
- NORTH AMERICA
Navajo Nation, Lakota Nation, Luiseno Nation, Hopi Nation, Yavusai Nation, Mexico
- CENTRAL AMERICA
Panama, Belize, Guatemala, Nicaragua
- SOUTH AMERICA
- PACIFIC ISLANDS
Palau, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, Phillipines, Fiji
- ANCIENT CIVILIZATIONS
Ancient Egypt, Babylonia, Mesopotomia, Aztec Empire and Mayan Empire
Vaginal steaming appears to be universal to women. It is used to treat a wide array of gynecological issues. It is an advanced form of medicine that women developed yet has gained very little attention or clinical testing by medical science. The clinical testing that has been performed (see below) has showed that it is a very effective therapy.
Bibliography of References to Vaginal Steaming
Compiled primarily by Kristin Gonzalez
- The Trotula: An English Translation of the Medieval Compendium of Women's Medicine, Edited and Translated by Monica H.Green, University of Pennsylvania Press 2001. 12th-15th century Italy
- A New Method of Curing the Venereal Disease by Fumigation authored by Sir Peter Lalonette, Paris 1776
- Corpus Hippocraticum, Gynecological Treatises
- Medicine and Health Care Among Chinese Ethnic Minorities, by Yan Yu and Ke Ren
- Reproducing Women: Medicine, Metaphor, and Childbirth in Late Imperial China, the author Yi-Li Wu
- Dictionary of the Ben Cao Gang Mu, Volume 1, by Zhibin Zhang and Paul U. Unschuld
- Early Chinese Medical Literature: the Mawangdui Medical Transcripts by Donald J. Harper
- The Divine Farmer's Materia Medica A Translation of the ShenNong Ben Cao ling by Yang Shou-zhong
- Huang Di Nei Jing Su Wen : Nature, Knowledge, Imagery in an Ancient Chinese Medical Text, with an Appendix, the Doctrine of the Five Periods and Six Qi in the Huang Di Nei Jing Su Wen by Paul U. Unschuld (pp. 313)
- Hawaiian Herbal Medicines by June Gumantis
- The Fourth Trimester: A Postpartum Guide to Healing Your Body, Balancing Your Emotions, and Restoring Your Vitality by Kimberly Ann Johnson, 2017
Survey of Periods
Conducted by Keli Garza
The Institute of Peristeam Hydrotherapy has done a survey of 2871 periods from participants in the United States ranging in ages 19-49.
- The top menstrual cycle related complaint was fatigue.
- Over 90% of participants reported signs of old residue (namely black or brown menstrual blood, clots or cramps).
- There was a high correlation between old residue and menstrual pain.
- There was a high correlation between old residue and endometriosis.
- There was a high correlation between old residue and infertility.
- There was a high correlation between irregular vaginal discharge and bacterial, yeast and viral infections.
- There was a high correlation between infections characterized with irregular discharge and infertility. While as many as 53% of entries reported signs of irregular discharge.
- There was a high correlation between painful sex and infertility.
Next steps - Publish the findings in a report. Conduct further surveys exploring the found correlations. Explore the effectiveness of peristeam hydrotherapy as a treatment method for infertility, menstrual cycle pain, endometriosis and infections. Explore the correlation between menstrual cycle care and fatigue.
The Perfect Period Phenomenon
Conducted by Keli Garza
Over a period of four years Keli Garza worked with a total of 763 clients who implemented peristeam hydrotherapy treatment protocols to address various complaints. Because of the high rate of old residue, one of Garza's main treatment protocols involved clearing out old residue (mainly brown or black blood and clots).
According to Garza's observations the first period after peristeaming usually had a higher amount of old residue. The second and third periods were characterized with decreasing amounts of old residue until the period resulted in only 4 days of fresh red blood with medium flow. This was true whether or not clients starting periods were heavy and long or short and light. After observing this pattern numerous times, Garza started to call this 4-day-medium-flow-fresh-red period a standard healthy cycle or "perfect period" for short.
Once a client had reached the perfect period the initial period side effects they reported (cramps, PMS, acne, breast tenderness, depression, back pain) appeared to go down significantly or disappear entirely.
It's possible that varying period and menstrual cycle lengths are not due to individualization but due to underfunctioning periods where the uterine lining and blood do not clear out all the way.
The uterus, though designed to be self-cleansing may be impeded in its cleanse by getting plugged by tampon products resulting in a high amount of old residue buildup.
Period side-effects currently believed to be normal are likely a complication of old-residue buildup.
Hospitals Where Vaginal Steam Therapy Is Used
Compiled by Kris Gonzalez
KyungHee BoGung Korean Medicine Hosptial - Uses vaginal steaming for treating wide array of gynecological diseases.
Beijing Tongshantang of Traditional Chinese Medicine - Uses vaginal steam in cervical cancer treatments.
Dunsan Korean Medical Hospital of Daejeon University - Alternative Cancer Treatment Therapy involves vaginal steaming.
Compiled by Kris Gonzalez
- Systematic Review of Fumigation Therapy on Atrophic Vaginitis
- Study on Therapeutic Effect of KMST (Korean Medicine Steam Therapy) -Included Korean Medicine Combination Therapy about Leukorrhea Patients
- Effects of Artemisia A. Smoke(Ssukjahun) on Menstrual Distress, Dysmenorrhea, and Prostaglandin F2
- Study on a Usage of Smoking Preparations, Fumigant and Buccal Preparations in Donguibogam
- Clinical study on combined acupuncture with chinese medicine for infertility due to hydrosalpinx
- Effect of xunxi no.1 intervention and radiotherapy on Ia-IIb stage cervical cancer with high-risk human papilloma virus infection